LU Crew Enjoys Record-Setting Year
May 10, 2007
Lamar Athletics has recently been selected as a top three finalist to receive a `Best of' Award in the student promotion category from the National Association of Collegiate Marketing Administrators. This award places Lamar University Athletics at the forefront of promoting student attendance and participation at its athletic events, which can only lead to more success on the playing field.
The LU Crew in its second year of operation has had a record breaking year increasing participation by over 250%, moving to 1,173 members. The Crew offers rewards to Lamar University and Lamar Institute of Technology (L.I.T.) students who attend athletic events. The incentive program hopes to increase school sprit and pride in Lamar's Athletic programs.
This year's major incentives were awarded on the 24th of April at the Lamar baseball game. The following students were grand prize winners.
1) John Morrell, a graduate student from Beaumont, won a 42" Plasma screen TV.
2) Cilicia McIntyre, a sophomore from Beaumont, won a Verizon Wireless Cell Phone.
3) Jennifer Rosemond, a junior from Beaumont, won a DVD Player.
4) Beverly White, a sophomore from Hankamer, won an I-Pod Nano.
5) Ben Cowles, a freshman from Beaumont, won a Coca-Cola Gift set.
6) Stephanie Ploydore, a junior from Houston won a $200 gift book scholarship from Barnes and Noble Bookstore located in the Setzer center.
In addition, the LU Crew would like to recognize Chris Coleman and Anna Garlock, who both attended 38 Lamar events, the most of any Lamar students.
The LU Crew is now looking forward to next year, with the ambitious goal of boosting membership to 2,500 students. With the addition of a women's soccer team, program director Miranda Biehle, the Assistant Athletic Director of Marketing and Promotions, say's next years prize's will be "bigger and better," and is hopeful of the continued support of the student body for the LU Crew and Lamar Athletics.
For more information on the program, contact Miranda Biehle at 409-880-8128