Did You Know?
FREQUENTLY ASKED QUESTIONS
How will my contribution to the Cardinal Club support Lamar Athletics?
100% of member contributions go directly to support Lamar Athletics. Student athlete scholarships are among the highest priority, with funds also being used towards facility enhancements and student athlete recruitment efforts.
Is my contribution tax deductible?
Under application provisions of the Internal Revenue Code (IRC), the amount of the contribution that is deductible for federal income tax purposes is limited to the excess of the amount contributed over the value of any goods or services provided to the donor by the University. See your tax consultant for details.
Does my company's matching gift count towards my Cardinal Club Membership?
Yes. If your company/organization has a matching gift program, their match will count towards your cardinal club gift; however, because it is often difficult to estimate the company's matching amount and because many times those matching amounts are not sent to the University prior to the end of the membership year, the matching gift cannot be used to increase your designated membership level. You simply need to complete your company's matching gift form and send it in with your contribution. Please be aware that match amounts are not tax deductible, and that some companies do not match gifts to Athletics.
I am a member of the Lamar University Alumni Association. Do my membership dues count as a gift to the Cardinal Club?
No. The Lamar University Alumni Association is an independent membership organization, and alumni membership dues do not count towards a Cardinal Club membership.
What is the cost for an athletic scholarship?
An in-state scholarship for 2010-2011 was valued at $14,334. And, scholarship costs will most certainly rise for the 2011-2012 year.
Do I have to pay for my membership upfront?
No. The Cardinal Club has monthly payment plans available for its members; however, if purchasing premium football tickets, your gift must be made in full prior to buying/renewing said tickets.
If I become a member of the Cardinal Club, will my donation go to general athletics or can I direct my gift to a specific sport?
As a member, you have the option of directing your contribution to the general athletic fund, a specific sport(s), or a combination of the two. By directing your contribution to the general athletic fund, it allows the athletic department to direct scholarship funds to the areas they are most needed from year-to-year. Please note that designations to specific sports are only allowed if the member declines his/her rights to the football season ticket option.
Do I have to donate to the Cardinal Club in order to be allowed to purchase Football season tickets?
If you would like to purchase football season tickets in the two premium seating sections ("VIP Gold" and "Big Red"), then the answer is YES. These premium seating sections require a per seat donation for the right to purchase season tickets in these sections. (See Cardinal Club Membership Chart for donation amount details). Purchasing season tickets in the "Green" or "White" seating sections does not require a donation to the Cardinal Club.
THE CARDINAL TRADITION CONTINUES
- 106 Lamar Student Athletes maintained a GPA of 3.0 during the fall 2009 semester and 99 student-athletes with a 3.0 in the spring 2010 semester.
- 16 Lamar Student Athletes maintained a 4.0 in the fall 2009 semester and 13 Student Athletes with a 4.0 in the spring 2010 semester.
- According to our latest graduation rates, our NCAA graduation success rate is 73%, which ranks 2nd among Southland Conference Schools.
- Cardinal student-athletes donated in excess of 2,500 hours of community service during the past year.
- In 2010, Lamar Baseball made its thirteenth (13th) appearance at an NCAA Regional since 1976. The team accomplished this feat by blazing their way through the Southland Conference Tournament and winning the Tournament Championship.
- The 2010 Women's Basketball team advanced to the NCAA Tournament where they faced the third seeded West Virginia Mountaineers. It marked the first time the Lady Cardinals had made it to the big dance in almost twenty years. They won both the Southland Conference Regular Season and Tournament Championships, and recorded 20+ wins for the second straight year.
- In 2009, the Men's Cross Country team won its fourth consecutive Southland Conference Championship and placed third at the NCAA Regionals.