Jan. 29, 2007
HOUSTON - The Lamar University men's tennis team dropped a 5-0 decision to the No. 28 ranked Rice Owls Sunday afternoon in Houston.
The Cards put up a tough fight in doubles play, as David Wanja and Mario Janjic picked up an 8-6 win at No. 3 over Filip Zivojinovic and Dennis Polyakov, while Filip Kanczula and Maciej Bogusz dropped an 8-5 drcision to Ralph Knupfer and Tobias Scheil at No.1. Rice won the doubles point by grabbing a win over Emmanuel Olivier and Tyler Cobb, 8-2, by the Owl pair of Jason Mok and Christoph Müller.
In singles play Bogusz was defeated 6-2, 6-0 by Müller at No. 3, Olivier lost to Scheil 6-2, 6-0 in the fourth spot, Wanja fell to Mok 6-1, 6-0 at No. 5 and Andres Medina was defeated 6-1, 6-1 by Filip Zivojinovic at No. 6.
The singles matches at the top two spots went unfinished, as the outcome of the match had already been decided.
The Cardinals, who are now 1-4 on the year, will be in action again on Friday, February 9, when they take on Abilene Christian in Abilene, Texas at 12 p.m.
No. 28 Rice 5, Lamar 0
1) Knupfer/Scheil (RU) def. Kanczula/Bogusz (LU), 8-5
2) Mok/Müller (RU) def. Olivier/Cobb (LU), 8-2
3) Wanja/Janjic (LU) def. Polyakov/Zivojinovic (RU), 8-6
1) Filip Paroci (RU) vs. Filip Kanczula (LU), DNF
2) Ralph Knupfer (RU) vs. Mario Janjic (LU), DNF
3) Christoph Müller (RU) def. Maciej Bogusz (LU), 6-2, 6-0
4) Tobias Scheil (RU) def. Emmanuel Olivier (LU), 6-2, 6-0
5) Jason Mok (RU) def. David Wanja (LU), 6-1, 6-0
6) Filip Zivojinovic (RU) def. Andres Medina (LU), 6-1, 6-1