March 10, 2007
LAFAYETTE, La. -
The Lamar University men's tennis team dropped a 4-3 decision to No. 63 Louisiana Lafayette on Tuesday, narrowly missing the upset of the nationally ranked Ragin' Cajuns.
The Cardinals opened the match by sweeping the doubles point, as Filip Kanczula and Maciej Bogusz started things off with an 8-5 win over Piotr Banas and Sean Ellison at No. 1 doubles. David Wanja and Emmanuel Olivier handed Dusan Tabak and Arlen Domoney and 8-4 loss oat No. 2 and the Cards picked up the sweep with Mario Janjic and Andres Medina posting an 8-3 win over Janusz Conridi and Jorge Delgado.
In singles play, the Cardinals picked up a pair of wins, as Kanczula breezed past Tabak 6-1m 6-1 at No. 1 and Olivier defeated Domoney 6-4, 6-4 at No. 5.
Lafayette was able to take the other four singles competitions, as Banas took down Janjic 6-1, 6-4 in the two spot, Ellison handed Bogusz a 7-5, 6-3 loss at No. 3 and Wanja fell victim to Delgado 6-3, 6-3. The deciding match came down to Medina and Zach Taylor, and Taylor was able to pull out the win 6-3, 3-6, 6-1 over a cramping Medina at No. 6.
"We are getting close to where we need to be," head coach Aldrin Campos said. "If we can keep putting it together and continue to move in the right direction, we are going to be prepared for conference play which is coming up. Hopefully matches like this will help us to peak against our conference opponents.
The Cardinals, who fall to 3-6 on the year with the loss, will be in action again on Friday when they take on the Connecticut Huskies in Lafayette.
Tennis Match Results
Lamar University vs. Louisiana Lafayette
March 6, 2007 at Lafayette La.
Louisiana Lafayette 4, Lamar University 3
1. Filip Kanczula def. Dusan Tabak 6-1, 6-3
2. Piotr Banas def. Mario Janjic 6-1, 6-4
3. Sean Ellison def. Maciej Bogusz 7-5, 6-3
4. Jorge Delgado def. David Wanja 6-3, 6-3
5. Emmanuel Olivier def. Arlen Domoney 6-4, 6-4
6. Zach Taylor def. Andres Medina 6-3, 3-6, 6-1
1. Filip Kanczula/Maciej Bogusz def. Piotr Banas/Sean Ellison 8-5
2. Emmanuel Olivier/Andres Medina def. Dusan Tabak/Arlen Domoney 8-4
3. Mario Janjic/Andres Medina def. Janusz Conridi 8-3