March 10, 2007
SAN ANTONIO, Texas -
The Lamar University men's tennis team opened Southland Conference Play Saturday, falling 6-1 to the University of Texas San Antonio Road Runners.
The Cardinals opened the match by taking the doubles point, with win's at No. 2 and No. 3 doubles. David Wanja and Emmanuel Olivier paired up for an 8-5 win over Rodrigo Morgado and Andre Moreia in the two spot, while Mario Janjic and Andres Medina took out Nate Avila and Nenad Maric 8-5 at No. 3. UTSA picked won at No. 1, as Robin Fernandes and Adam Becker paired for an 8-3 win over LU's Filip Kanczula and Maciej Bogusz.
In singles play the Roadrunners swept all six matches. Two of the matches went three sets as Janjic narrowly lost at No. 2 singles, falling 3-6, 7-6, 10-6 to Rodrigo, while Olivier was knocked off 6-2, 5-7, 10-6 by Avila at No. 5.
The Cardinal men will be in action again on March 24, when they take on the Lions of Southeastern Louisiana, in Hammond, La. at 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
UTSA 6, Lamar 1
1. Fernandes, Robin (UTSA) def. Kanczula, Filip (LU-M) 6-3, 6-2
2. Morgado, Rodrigo (UTSA) def. Janjic, Mario (LU-M) 3-6, 7-6, 10-6
3. Moreira, Andre (UTSA) def. Bogusz, Maciej (LU-M) 6-0, 6-3
4. Maric, Nenad (UTSA) def. Wanja, David (LU-M) 6-1, 6-1
5. Avila, Nate (UTSA) def. Oliver, Emmanuel (LU-M) 6-2, 5-7, 10-6
6. Becker, Adam (UTSA) def. Medina, Andres (LU-M) 6-2, 6-3
1. Fernandes, Robin/Becker, Adam (UTSA) def. Kanczula, Filip/Bogusz, Maciej (LU-M) 8-3
2. Wanja, David/Oliver, Emmanuel (LU-M) def. Morgado, Rodrigo/Moreira, Andre (UTSA) 8-5
3. Janjic, Mario/Medina, Andres (LU-M) def. Avila, Nate/Maric, Nenad (UTSA) 8-5