March 9, 2007
SAN ANTONIO, Texas -
The Lamar University men's tennis team opened their trip to San Antonio with a 7-0 win over UCONN of Friday, improving their season record to 5-7.
The Cardinals opened the match by sweeping through doubles play as Filip Kanczula and Maciej Bogusz defeated Ben Schueler and Joe Goldstein 8-1 at No. 1 and David Wanja and Emmanuel Olivier took down Joey Michaels and Christian Malerba 8-6 at No. 2. Lamar capped off the doubles sweep with an 8-3 win at No. 3 by Mario Janjic and Andres Medina over Thomas Cook and Nate Carvalho.
In singles play the Cardinals breezed past the Huskies, not dropping a set. Kanczula posted a 6-3, 6-1 win over Michaels at No. 1, Janjic won 6-3, 6-4 over Schueler at No. 2 while Bogusz defeated Goldstein 6-3, 6-4 at No. 3. At No. 4, Wanja posted a 6-3, 6-1 win over Carvalho at No. 4, Olivier was a 6-2, 6-2 winners over Malerba in the five spot and Medina cruised to a 6-1, 6-1 win over Aaron Ribchinsky at No. 6.
The Cardinals will be in action again on Saturday, when they open Southland Conference play against The UT-San Antonio Road Runners at 1 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Lamar University 7, Connecticut 0
1. Filip Kanczula (LU-M) def. Joey Michaels (UCONN) 6-3, 6-1
2. Mario Janjic (LU-M) def. Ben Schueler (UCONN) 6-3, 6-4
3. Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) def. Joe Goldstein (UCONN) 6-3, 6-4
4. David Wanja (LU-M) def. Nate Carvalho (UCONN) 6-3, 6-1
5. Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) def. Christian Malerba (UCONN) 6-2, 6-2
6. Andres Medina (LU-M) def. Aaron Ribchinsky (UCONN) 6-1, 6-1
1. Filip Kanczula/Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) def. Ben Schueler/Joe Goldstein (UCONN) 8-1
2. David Wanja/Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) def. Joey Michaels/Christian Malerba (UCONN) 8-6
3. Mario Janjic/Andres Medina (LU-M) def. Thomas Cook/Nate Carvalho (UCONN) 8-3