March 24, 2007
HAMMOND, La. -
The Lamar University men's tennis team picked up their first Southland Conference victory of the season on Saturday, taking down the Lions of Southeastern Louisiana 4-3 in Hammond, La.
The Cardinals opened the match by winning the doubles point as David Wanja and Emmanuel Olivier took down Julien Lousao and Vladimir Paunic 8-5at No. 2., while Mario Janjic and Andres Medina slipped past Jakub Kwasniewicz and Olivier Zieleniecki 9-7 at No. 3. The Lions won the match at No. 1 doubles, as Ondrej Krivka and Matthieu Leboucher defeated Filip Kanczula and Maciej Bogusz 8-4.
In singles play the two teams split the six matches at three apiece, giving Lamar the 4-3 win. Janjic downed Krivka 7-5, 4-6, 6-4 at No. 2, Olivier was a 6-4, 6-3 winner over Kwasniewicz at No. 5 and Medina sailed past Zieleniecki 6-1, 6-2 at No. 6.
The Lions won at No. 1 as Leboucher defeated Kanczula 7-5, 2-6, 6-4, Paunic took down Bogusz 2-6, 6-1, 6-0 at No. 3 and Lousao won 6-3, 6-4 over Wanja at No. 4.
The win improves Lamar's record to 6-8 on the year and 1-1 in Southland Conference play. The Cardinals will be in action again on Sunday, when they take on the Nicholls State Colonels at noon in Thibodeaux, La.
Tennis Match Results
1. Matthieu Leboucher (SLU) def. Filip Kanczula (LU-M) 7-5, 2-6, 6-4
2. Mario Janjic (LU-M) def. Ondrej Krivka (SLU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
3. Vladimir Paunic (SLU) def. Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) 2-6, 6-1, 6-0
4. Julien Lousao (SLU) def. David Wanja (LU-M) 6-3, 6-4
5. Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) def. Jakub Kwasniewicz (SLU) 6-4, 6-3
6. Andres Medina (LU-M) def. Olivier Zieleniecki (SLU) 6-1, 6-2
1. Ondrej Krivka/Matthieu Leboucher (SLU) def. Filip Kanczula/Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) 8-4
2. Emmanuel Olivier/David Wanja (LU-M) def. Julien Lousao/Vladimir Paunic (SLU) 8-5
3. Andres Medina/Mario Janjic (LU-M) def. Jakub Kwasniewicz/Olivier Zieleniecki (SLU) 9-7