March 26, 2007
THIBODAUX, La. -
The Lamar University men's tennis team picked up their second win of the weekend on Sunday, taking down Nicholls State 6-1 in Thibodaux, La.
The Cardinals opened the match by winning the doubles point as David Wanja and Emmanuel Olivier took down Phenyo Matong and Ricardo van Bolderik 8-3at No. 2, while Mario Janjic and Andres Medina defeated Alexandru Gasca-Sila and Maxime Bouhoulle 8-6 at No. 3. The Colonels won the match at No. 1 doubles, as Vlad-Lucian Popa and Eric Fisher knocked off Filip Kanczula and Maciej Bogusz 9-8.
In singles play the Cardinals took over the match, winning at one through five, while dropping a point at No. 6. Kanczula defeated Popa 6-3, 6-4 at No. 1, Janjic was a 4-6, 6-3, 6-1 winner over Fisher at No. 2 and Bogusz won at No. 3 over Matong 6-3, 6-2. Wanja made quick work of Gasca-Sila, winning 6-4, 6-0 at No. 4 and Olivier was a 7-5, 6-3 winner over van Bolderik at No. 5.
The win improves Lamar's record to 7-8 on the year and 2-1 in Southland Conference play. The Cardinals will be in action again on Sunday, when they host the University of Texas-Pan American at noon. It will be the first home match of the season for the Cards.
Tennis Match Results
Lamar University 6, Nicholls State 1
1. Filip Kanczula (LU-M) def. Vlad-Lucian Popa (NICH-M) 6-3, 6-4
2. Mario Janjic (LU-M) def. Eric Fisher (NICH-M) 4-6, 6-3, 6-1
3. Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) def. Phenyo Matong (NICH-M) 6-3, 6-2
4. David Wanja (LU-M) def. Alexandru Gasca-Sila (NICH-M) 6-4, 6-0
5. Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) def. Ricardo van Bolderik (NICH-M) 7-5, 6-3
6. Maxime Bouhoulle (NICH-M) def. Andres Medina (LU-M) 6-3, 2-6, 1-0
1. Vlad-Lucian Popa/Eric Fisher (NICH-M) def. Filip Kanczula/Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) 9-8 (6-0)
2. David Wanja/Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) def. Phenyo Matong/Ricardo van Bolderik (NICH-M) 8-3
3. Mario Janjic/Andres Medina (LU-M) def. Alexandru Gasca-Sila/Maxime Bouhoulle (NICH-M) 8-6