April 1, 2007
After waiting out the rain, the Lamar University men's tennis team made the most of their home debut on Sunday, taking out the Broncs of the University of Texas Pan American 5-2 at the Cardinal Courts.
It was the third straight win for the Cards, who improved to 3-1 in Southland Conference play and 8-8 overall on the year.
The Cardinals opened the match by winning the doubles point as Filip Kanczula and Maciej Bogusz started things off with an 8-2 win over Ivan Avila and Gary Bianco at No. 1 and Mario Janjic and Andres Medina defeated David Lopez-Heredia Shashank Vij 8-2 at No. 3. Pan American did pick up a win in doubles play, as Brett Bernstein and Nirvick Mohinta defeated David Wanja and Emmanuel Olivier 8-4.
Kanczula won at No. 1 singles 7-6, 4-6, 6-3 over Avila, Wanja was a 6-2, 6-3 winner over Vij at No. 4 and Medina won at No. 6 7-5 6-3. The match was clinched by Bogusz, who took down Lopez-Heredia 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 at No. 3. The Broncs won at No. 2 singles 6-4, 6-4, as Bianco took down Janjic, and at No. 5, as Bernstein won 6-2, 6-3 over Olivier.
The Cards will be in action again on Friday, when they take on the Red Raiders of Texas Tech at 2 p.m.
Tennis Match Results
Lamar University 5, Univ. of Texas-Pan American 2
1. Filip Kanczula (LU-M) def. Ivan Avila (UTPA) 7-6 (6-0), 4-6, 6-3
2. Gary Bianco (UTPA) def. Mario Janjic (LU-M) 6-4, 6-4
3. Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) def. David Lopez-Heredia (UTPA) 6-3, 4-6, 7-6 (4-0)
4. David Wanja (LU-M) def. Shashank Vij (UTPA) 6-2, 6-3
5. Brett Bernstein (UTPA) def. Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) 6-2, 6-3
6. Andres Medina (LU-M) def. Nirvick Mohinta (UTPA) 7-5, 6-3
1. Filip Kanczula/Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) def. Ivan Avila/Gary Bianco (UTPA) 8-2
2. Brett Bernstein/Nirvick Mohinta (UTPA) def. David Wanja/Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) 8-4
3. Mario Janjic/Andres Medina (LU-M) def. David Lopez-Heredia/Shashank Vij (UTPA) 8-2