April 9, 2005
CORPUS CHRISTI, Texas - Nationally-ranked Texas A&M-Corpus Christi handed the Lamar men's tennis team a 7-0 loss on Saturday morning, as the Cardinals concluded the Southland Conference portion of their schedule at the HEB Tennis Center.
The loss drops Lamar to 9-11 overall and 2-4 in SLC play. The 20th-ranked Islanders improved to 17-7 for the spring, including a perfect 4-0 league record.
TAMU-CC quickly clinched the doubles point, taking the No. 2 and No. 3 matches by scores of 8-4 and 8-2, respectively. Lamar did pull out one win, however, as the Cardinals' top squad of Ignacio Melus and Dean Clower snapped a four-match losing streak with an upset victory over the Islanders' Jeremy Blandin and Andrey Kumantsov, 9-8.
The Islanders went on to seal the overall victory in singles play with five straight-set wins. LU's No. 1, 2, 3 and 5 players were unable to win more than four games in any single set, while senior Christian Olivier put up a strong fight in his No. 6 match. The Mexico City native lost a hard-fought first set, 7-5, before TAMU-CC's Oscar Roman closed out the match with a 6-1 win in the second set.
Senior Dean Clower was the lone Lamar player to take a set from an opponent, as he won the second frame against Max Godin in the No. 4 match. The Broken Arrow, Oklahoma product fell 6-2 in the first set, before grabbing the second, 6-3. Godin went on to win the pro-set third frame, 10-3.
The Cardinals conclude the regular season on Sunday, Apr. 17 with a 9 a.m. non-conference match against Abilene Christian.
#20 Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 7, Lamar University 0
1. R. Morant-Rivas (TAMU-CC) def. Juan Pablo Alatorre (LAMAR) 6-4, 6-1
2. Jeremy Blandin (TAMU-CC) def. Emilio Kirby (LAMAR) 6-4, 6-0
3. Andrey Kumantsov (TAMU-CC) def. Ignacio Melus (LAMAR) 6-2, 6-2
4. Max Godin (TAMU-CC) def. Dean Clower (LAMAR) 6-2, 3-6, 10-3
5. David Placensia (TAMU-CC) def. Emmanuel Olivier (LAMAR) 6-4, 6-2
6. Oscar Roman (TAMU-CC) def. Christian Olivier (LAMAR) 7-5, 6-1
1. Melus/Clower (LAMAR) def. Blandin/Kumantsov (TAMU-CC) 9-8
2. Figueiredo/Bacaicoa (TAMU-CC) def. Kirby/Alatorre (LAMAR) 8-4
3. Roman/Morant-Rivas (TAMU-CC) def. Olivier/Wanja (LAMAR) 8-2