April 15, 2007
BEAUMONT, Texas -
The Lamar University men's tennis team closed out the regular season with a 6-1 loss to the University of Texas-Arlington Mavericks at the Cardinal Courts on Sunday.
The Cardinals lone win came at No. 4 singles where David Wanja knocked out Javier Herrera (UTA) 6-3, 7-5. Filip Kanczula dropped a three set decision to Diego Mattar at No. 1 singles 6-3, 3-6, 6-3 and Mario Janjic also dropped a three set decision, falling 6-3, 4-6, 6-4 to Daniel Omana.
In other singles action Maciej Bogusz fell to Alberto Agis 6-2, 7-5, Emmanuel Olivier lost to Dmitry Minkin 7-6, 6-2 and Andres Medina was knocked off 7-5, 7-6 by Gonzalo Bienzobas.
Arlington won all three doubles matches, as Omana and Bienzobas defeated Kanczula and Bogusz 8-5 at No. 1, Mattar and Herrera took down Olivier and Wanja 8-1 at No. 2 and Agis and Minkin defeated Janjic and Medina 8-5 at No. 3.
The Cardinals finish the regular season with an 8-12 record on the year, and a 3-3 mark in Southland Conference play. They will be back in action this weekend in the Southland Conference tournament in San Antonio, Texas.
Tennis Match Results
University of Texas Arlington 6, Lamar University 1
1. Diego Mattar (UTA) def. Filip Kanczula (LU-M) 6-3, 3-6, 6-3
2. Daniel Omana (UTA) def. Mario Janjic (LU-M) 6-3, 4-6, 6-4
3. Alberto Agis (UTA) def. Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) 6-2, 7-5
4. David Wanja (LU-M) def. Javier Herrera (UTA) 6-3, 7-5
5. Dmitry Minkin (UTA) def. Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) 7-6 (8-3), 6-2
6. Gonzalo Bienzobas (UTA) def. Andres Medina (LU-M) 7-5, 7-6
1. Daniel Omana/Gonzalo Bienzobas (UTA) def. Filip Kanczula/Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) 8-5
2. Diego Mattar/Javier Herrera (UTA) def. Emmanuel Olivier/David Wanja (LU-M) 8-1
3. Alberto Agis/Dmitry Minkin (UTA) def. Mario Janjic/Andres Medina (LU-M) 8-5