April 20, 2007
SAN ANTONIO - Lamar University, the No. 4-seed, claimed the doubles point and won three singles matches to post a 4-2 win over No. 5-seed Southeastern Louisiana in the first round of the Southland Conference Championship, hosted by Texas-San Antonio at UTSA Courts.
Lamar will face No. 1-seeded Texas A&M-Corpus Christi Saturday at 4:30 p.m. The Islanders won the regular season meeting 6-1 last Sunday at the Cardinal Courts in Beaumont.
Filip Kanczula defeated Matthieu Leboucher 6-1, 5-7, 6-3 at No. 1 singles, and Andres Medina picked up a 6-3, 3-6, 6-2 win over Jakub Kwasniewicz at No. 6 singles, giving the Cards two of their three points from singles play. The third point in singles play for Lamar came at No. 2 singles, when Southeastern's Ondrej Krivka retired the match.
The Lions collected wins at No. 3 as Vladimir Paunic def. Maciej Bogusz 6-1, 3-6, 6-2, and at No. 4 with Julien Lousao knocking off David Wanja 6-2, 6-4. The match at No. 5 singles was unfinished, as Lamar had already secured the four points needed to win the match.
The Cards opened the match by taking the doubles point by winning at No. 1 and No. 3. Kanczula and Bogusz handled Leboucher and Krivka 8-5 at No. 1, while Janjic and Medina knocked out Paunic and Kwasniewicz 8-5 at No. 3. Lousao and Medhi Darlis won at No. 2 doubles for Southeastern, taking out Wanja and Emmanuel Olivier 8-6.
Tennis Match Results
Lamar 4, Southeastern Louisiana 2
Singles competition 1. Filip Kanczula (LU-M) def. Matthieu Leboucher (SLU) 6-1, 5-7, 6-3
2. Mario Janjic (LU-M) def. Ondrej Krivka (SLU) 1-0, retired
3. Vladimir Paunic (SLU) def. Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) 6-1, 3-6, 6-2
4. Julien Lousao (SLU) def. David Wanja (LU-M) 6-2, 6-4
5. Medhi Darlis (SLU) def. Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) 4-6, 6-3, 4-1, unfinished
6. Andres Medina (LU-M) def. Jakub Kwasniewicz (SLU) 6-3, 3-6, 6-2
1. Filip Kanczula/Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) def. Matthieu Leboucher/Ondrej Krivka (SLU) 8-5
2. Julien Lousao/Medhi Darlis (SLU) vs. David Wanja/Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) 7-6, unfinished
3. Mario Janjic/Andres Medina (LU-M) def. Vladimir Paunic/Jakub Kwasniewicz (SLU) 8-5