April 21, 2007
SAN ANTONIO, Texas -
The No. 4 seed Lamar University men's tennis team dropped a 4-0 decision to No. 1 seed Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Saturday at the Southland Conference tennis tournament at the UTSA Tennis Center on the campus of the University of Texas San Antonio.
The Islanders opened the match by taking the doubles point, as Andrey Kumantsov and Dmitry Novikov defeated LU's Maciej Bogusz and Filip Kanczula 8-4 at No. 1 and the tandem of Jose Ycaza and Jose Zunino took down Mario Janjic and Andres Medina 8-2 at No. 3. The match between the pairs of Raul Morant-Rivas and Mikhail Pavlov and David Wanja and Emmanuel Olivier went unfinished.
In singles play Kumantsov defeated Kanczula 6-2, 6-1 at No. 1 singles, Morant-Rivas took down Janjic at 6-2, 6-1 at No. 2, while Nunino defeated Olivier 6-2, 6-2 at No. 5 singles. The other three singles matches were unfinished since Corpus had already secured the four points needed to win.
The loss brings the 2007 season to an end for Lamar. The Cardinals, who finish the year with a 9-13 record, will return all of their players next season.
Tennis Match Results
Texas A&M-Corpus Christi 4, Lamar 0
1. Andrey Kumantsov (TAMU-CC) def. Filip Kanczula (LU-M) 6-2, 6-1
2. Raul Morant-Rivas (TAMU-CC) def. Mario Janjic (LU-M) 6-2, 6-1
3. Dmitry Novikov (TAMU-CC) vs. Maciej Bogusz (LU-M) 4-6, unfinished
4. Mikhail Pavlov (TAMU-CC) vs. David Wanja (LU-M) 6-1, unfinished
5. Jose Zunino (TAMU-CC) def. Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) 6-2, 6-2
6. Jaume Farras (TAMU-CC) vs. Andres Medina (LU-M) 7-5, unfinished
1. Andrey Kumantsov/Dmitry Novikov (TAMU-CC) def. Maciej Bogusz/Filip Kanczula (LU-M) 8-4
2. Raul Morant-Rivas/Mikhail Pavlov (TAMU-CC) vs. David Wanja/Emmanuel Olivier (LU-M) 7-4, unfinished
3. Jose Ycaza/Jose Zunino (TAMU-CC) def. Mario Janjic/Andres Medina (LU-M) 8-2