April 22, 2005
SAN ANTONIO - The Lamar men's tennis team saw its season come to an end on Friday morning, as the Cardinals fell to Southeastern Louisiana, 4-0, in the first round of the 2005 Southland Conference Tournament at the UTSA Tennis Center.
With the loss, the fifth-seeded Cardinals concluded their season with a 9-13 overall record. The fourth-seeded Lions improved to 16-9 on the year and advanced to the second round of the SLC tournament where they will face top-seeded Texas A&M-Corpus Christi on Saturday.
Friday's match began with doubles play, where the Lions earned the team point with identical 8-4 wins at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions. The No. 1 match went unfinished after SLU clinched the doubles point.
Southeastern Louisiana seemed to have little trouble wrapping up the match in singles play, as the Lions posted three straight set wins to seal the victory. SLU's Ondrej Krivka took out Lamar senior Juan Pablo Alatorre, 6-1, 6-4, at the No. 1 spot in what was the most competitive singles match of the morning session.
Senior Dean Clower saw his collegiate career come to a disappointing end in the No. 4 singles match, as he fell to Julien Lousao, 6-0 and 6-0. Clower, a Broken Arrow, Oklahoma native, ended the year with a 9-11 singles record. Teammate Emmanuel Olivier, a freshman from Mexico City, Mexico, also lost in straight sets at the No. 5. Olivier fell to SLU's Illie Babinciuc, 6-0, 6-2.
The remaining singles matches (No. 2, 3 and 6) went unfinished after the Lions clinched the overall victory.
Southeastern Louisiana 4, Lamar University 0
1. Ondrej Krivka (SLU) def. Juan Pablo Alatorre (LAMAR) 6-1, 6-4
2. Olivier Nussbaum (SLU) vs. Emilio Kirby (LAMAR) unfinished
3. Haris Huremovic (SLU) vs. Ignacio Melus (LAMAR) unfinished
4. Julien Lousao (SLU) def. Dean Clower (LAMAR) 6-0, 6-0
5. Illie Babinciuc (SLU) def. Emmanuel Olivier (LAMAR) 6-0, 6-2
6. Paul Birkett (SLU) vs. Christian Olivier (LAMAR) unfinished
1. Julien Lousao/Olivier Nussbaum (SLU) vs. Ignacio Melus/Dean Clower (LAMAR) unfinished
2. Illie Babinciuc/Haris Huremovic (SLU) def. Emilio Kirby/Juan Pablo Alatorre (LAMAR) 8-4
3. Paul Birkett/Ondrej Krivka (SLU) def. Christian Olivier/David Wanja (LAMAR) 8-4