Jan. 22, 2005
HOUSTON - The Lamar women's tennis team faced a daunting task in its 2005 season opener, as the Lady Cardinals lost a 7-0 dual match to No. 67 Rice University at the Jake Hess Tennis Stadium.
In doubles action Rice rolled through all three matches en route to securing the doubles team point. LU's No. 2 team of Hayley Bakker and Kendall Gibbs posted the most competitive match in doubles action, dropping an 8-6 decision to the Rice combo of Tracie Chong and Kimberley Patenaude.
The singles matches were much like the doubles play, as the Owls did not surrender a set in sweeping all six contests. The Lady Cardinals' Tara Shelander fought hard at the No. 2 position, but it was not enough as Chong emerged with a 7-6 (7-4), 6-3 victory. LU No. 1 Andrea Martinez also battled valiantly in the first set, but the Durango, Mexico native fell 7-2 in the tiebreaker and was shutout, 6-0, in the second set.
The Lady Cardinals return to action next weekend when they travel to Houston to participate in the Lee College Lady Rebel Invitational on Fri. and Sat., Jan. 28 and 29.
#67 Rice 7, Lamar 0
1. DiSesa/Karas (RU) def. Martinez/Shelander (LU), 8-1
2. Chong/Patenaude (RU) def. Bakker/Gibbs (LU), 8-6
3. Cao/Medeja Egic (RU) def. Brument/Leroy (LU), 8-0
1. Blair DiSesa (RU) def. Andrea Martinez (LU), 7-6 (2), 6-0
2. Tracie Chong (RU) def. Tara Shelander (LU), 7-6 (4), 6-3
3. Kimberley Patenaude (RU) def. Kendall Gibbs (LU), 6-1, 6-2
4. Christine Dao (RU) def. Hayley Bakker (LU), 6-2, 6-2
5. Dominique Karas (RU) def. Marion Brument (LU), 6-2, 6-1
6. Amy Cao (RU) def. Marine Leroy (LU), 6-1, 6-2