April 2, 2005
BEAUMONT - A short-lived, two-match losing streak ended abruptly for the Lamar women's tennis team, as the Lady Cardinals rolled to a 7-0 victory over Texas-Pan American Saturday night at the Cardinal Courts.
With the win, Lamar upped its spring record to 11-7, while the Lady Broncs slipped to 1-6 on the year. LU returns to action on Sunday morning with a 9 a.m. Southland Conference match against visiting Nicholls State.
The match opened with doubles play where LU's top No. 1 team of Tara Shelander and Andrea Martinez took little time dispatching UTPA's Silke Buksik and Katherine Barto, 8-0. The Lady Cardinal pair is now 16-2 on the year, which leads the team and the SLC. Senior Hayley Bakker and Marion Brument played their second straight match at the No. 2 slot, where they easily handled the Lady Broncs pairing of Elysia Sloan and Angela Saenz, 8-0. Bakker and Brument are now 11-3 for the season. The Lady Cardinals also picked up a default win at the No. 3 position.
With the doubles point locked up, Lamar kept up the pressure in singles play, sweeping through every match with straight set wins. Martinez, a sophomore from Durango, Mexico, rebounded nicely in her No. 1 match after a disappointing loss in LU's morning session with Southeastern Louisiana. The 5-7 right-hander dropped Buksik, 6-2, 6-3, to improve to 12-6 on the year.
Shelander, a sophomore from Beaumont, won at the No. 2 by scores of 6-1 and 6-0, while Bakker dominated Sloan at the No. 3 position, 6-1 and 6-2. Shelander kept pace with Martinez at 12-6 overall, while Bakker improved to 11-7.
Junior Kendall Gibbs ended a four-match skid at the No. 4 spot with a 6-0, 6-0 blanking of UTPA's Saenz. Brument also recorded a much needed win at the No. 5 with an identical win over the Lady Broncs' Lopez.
Lady Cardinal freshman Marine LeRoy
won by default at the No. 6 singles position.
Lamar University 7, Texas-Pan American 0
1. Andrea Martinez (LAMAR) def. Silke Buksik (UTPA) 6-2, 6-3
2. Tara Shelander (LAMAR) def. Katherine Barto (UTPA) 6-1, 6-0
3. Hayley Bakker (LAMAR) def. Elysia Sloan (UTPA) 6-1, 6-2
4. Kendall Gibbs (LAMAR) def. Angela Saenz (UTPA) 6-0, 6-0
5. Marion Brument (LAMAR) def. Monica Lopez (UTPA) 6-0, 6-0
6. Marine LeRoy (LAMAR) def. No Player (UTPA), by default
1. Andrea Martinez/Tara Shelander (LAMAR) def. Silke Buksik/Katherine Barto (UTPA) 8-0
2. Hayley Bakker/Marion Brument (LAMAR) def. Elysia Sloan/Angela Saenz (UTPA) 8-0
3. Kendall Gibbs/Marine LeRoy (LAMAR) def. No Player/No Player (UTPA), by default