April 9, 2005
SAN ANTONIO, Texas - The Lamar women's tennis team moved one step closer to clinching a Southland Conference Tournament berth on Saturday morning, as the Lady Cardinals edged Texas-San Antonio, 4-3, in league action at the UTSA Tennis Center.
The win was the second straight SLC victory for LU, who improved to 13-8 overall and 6-3 in league action. The Roadrunners fell to 5-12 on the year with a 4-5 SLC record.
LU opened the match by taking the doubles point, winning two of the three tandem matches. Lamar's No. 1 team of Andrea Martinez and Tara Shelander won their SLC-leading 19th match of the spring with an 8-6 triumph over UTSA's Massiel Martinez and Barbara Mooney. The Roadrunners earned an 8-6 win at the No. 2, but LU's No. 3 squad of Hayley Bakker and Marion Brument tallied their 14th win the year with an 8-2 win over Rachael Hansen and Ana Paula Soto Anton.
In singles play, UTSA earned wins at the No. 2, 4 and 6 spots to climb back into the match. Sophomore Tara Shelander lost an extremely close contest at the No. 2, as UTSA's Martinez won in straight sets with back-to-back tiebreaker wins. The Lady Cardinals responded with straight set wins at the No. 1, 3 and 5 positions to clinch the match victory.
Martinez, a sophomore from Durango, Mexico, improved to 15-6 in singles play, taking the top spot 6-3 and 6-2 over Nadezda Rossikhina. Bakker won 6-1, 6-1 at the No. 3 and Brument took out Anton, 7-5 and 6-3.
The Lady Cardinals continue their two-match SLC road swing on Sunday, taking on Texas State at 1 p.m. in San Marcos, Texas. With a win against the Bobcats, Lamar will clinch a berth in the six-team SLC tournament.
Lamar University 4, Texas-San Antonio 3
1. Andrea Martinez (LAMAR) def. Nadezda Rossikhina (UTSA) 6-3, 6-2
2. Massiel Martinez (UTSA) def. Tara Shelander (LAMAR) 7-6 (7-1), 7-6 (7-4)
3. Hayley Bakker (LAMAR) def. Barbara Mooney (UTSA) 6-1, 6-1
4. Tonya Harking (UTSA) def. Kendall Gibbs (LAMAR) 6-4, 6-3
5. Marion Brument (LAMAR) def. Ana Paula Soto Anton (UTSA) 7-5, 6-3
6. Rachael Hansen (UTSA) def. Marine LeRoy (LAMAR) 6-3, 2-6, 6-3
1. Martinez/Shelander (LAMAR) def. Mooney/Martinez (UTSA) 8-6
2. Rossikhina/Harking (UTSA) def. Gibbs/LeRoy (LAMAR) 8-6
3. Bakker/Brument (LAMAR) def. Hansen/Anton (UTSA) 8-2