April 10, 2005
SAN MARCOS, Texas - Lamar sophomores Tara Shelander and Andrea Martinez became the first-ever LU doubles team to win 20 matches in a single season, but it was not enough to prevent Texas State from posting a 4-3 upset victory in Southland Conference action Sunday afternoon at the Texas State Tennis Center.
The Lady Cards slipped to 13-9 overall, while closing out the SLC regular season with a 6-4 record. Despite the loss, Lamar has still clinched a spot in the league's six-team postseason tournament, slated for Apr. 22-24. The Bobcats closed out their year with a 7-12 overall record and a 4-6 league mark.
LU claimed the doubles point by taking two of three matches, including the No. 1 contest. Shelander and Martinez improved to 20-2 on the year, including a 9-1 league record, with a solid 8-4 decision over TXST's Melanie Hall and Tina Klemenc. Senior Hayley Bakker and freshman Marion Brument also posted an 8-4 win at the No. 2 for their fifth-straight doubles victory.
Martinez went on to give LU its second point of the match as she took out Leja Sirola in straight sets, 6-3 and 6-2. Bakker added a third point to the Lady Cardinals total with a three-set, come-from-behind win over Texas State's Margaret Potyrala, 0-6, 6-4 and 6-3.
The Bobcats got on the board with straight-set wins at the No. 4 and No. 6 positions, putting extra emphasis on the No. 2 and No. 5 matches, which were the final contests to conclude. At No. 2 singles, Texas State's Hall came back from an opening set loss to defeat Shelander 1-6, 6-3, 6-3 to tie the match at 3-3 with Klemenc still playing at No. 5 singles. After splitting the first two sets with the Bobcats' Klemenc, Brument trailed 5-1 in the third set before rallying to win three straight games. Unfortunately, the Groffliers, France native saw her comeback attempt dashed as Klemenc went on to win the match 7-5, 4-6, 6-4.
The Lady Cardinals will now prepare for a pair of non-conference matches against Texas A&M-Corpus Christi and Houston before heading to San Antonio for the conference tournament. LU takes on TAMU-CC on Friday, Apr. 15 in the home finale at 10 a.m. on the Cardinal Courts.
Texas State 4, Lamar 3
1. Andrea Martinez (LU) def. Sirola, Leja (TXST) 6-3, 6-2
2. Hall, Melanie (TXST) def. Tara Shelander (LU) 1-6, 6-3, 6-3
3. Hayley Bakker (LU) def. Potyrala, Margaret (TXST) 0-6, 6-4, 6-3
4. Cucciniello, Jana (TXST) def. Kendall Gibbs (LU) 6-0, 6-0
5. Klemenc, Tina (TXST) def. Marion Brument (LU) 7-5, 4-6, 6-4
6. Muller, Sumarie (TXST) def. Marine LeRoy (LU) 7-6 (7-1), 6-1
1. Martinez, Andrea/Shelander, Tara (LU) def. Hall, Melanie/Klemenc, Tina (TXST) 8-4
2. Sirola, Leja/Potyrala, Margaret (TXST) def. Gibbs, Kendall/LeRoy, Marine (LU) 8-1
3. Bakker, Hayley/Brument, Marion (LU) def. Muller, Sumarie/Cucciniello, Jana (TXST) 8-4