April 22, 2005
SAN ANTONIO - A 4-1 loss to fifth-seeded Sam Houston State ended the Lamar Lady Cardinals season on Friday morning, in the first round of the 2005 Southland Conference Women's Tennis Championship at the UTSA Tennis Center.
In their first trip to the postseason since 2000, the fourth-seeded Lady Cardinals struggled in singles play before ending their season with a 14-11 overall record. The 14 wins, however, were the most by the LU women's squad since a 15-8 campaign in 1998. The Bearkats improved to 11-10 on the year and advanced to Saturday's second round where they will face top-seeded Texas-Arlington.
The matched opened with doubles play, where the Lady Cardinals used strong performances at the No. 2 and No. 3 positions to capture the team point. Freshman Marion Brument and senior Hayley Bakker upped their season record to 17-3 and ended the year with a seven-match win streak, as they posted an 8-4 win at the No. 2 over SHSU's Cristina Flores and Erika Rudich. Lamar also received a stellar outing from junior Kendall Gibbs and freshman Marine LeRoy as the duo dumped the Bearkats' No. 3 squad by an identical 8-4 score.
LU's all-conference No. 1 team of Andrea Martinez and Tara Shelander did not finish their match after the Lady Cardinals clinched the doubles point.
Leading 1-0 in the overall team scoring, the Lady Cardinals carried some momentum into the singles matches. Unfortunately, the Bearkats quickly moved the momentum on their side with a 6-0, 6-1 win by Flores at the No. 4. SLC newcomer of the year, Lata Assundani added another point to Sam Houston's total as she downed Martinez, 6-1, 6-2. The loss snapped a seven-match win streak for Martinez, who finished the year with an 18-7 singles record.
Lamar's LeRoy fell in straight sets (6-2, 6-0) at the No. 6 position, giving the Bearkats a 3-1 lead with three matches still underway. Moments later SHSU sealed the team victory as Mounia Hassib took out Bakker in a hard-fought three-set No. 3 match, 6-2, 6-7, 6-1. With the loss, Bakker ended the year with a 15-10 record in her final collegiate season.
Sam Houston State University 4, Lamar University 1
1. Lata Assundani (SHSU) def. Andrea Martinez (LAMAR) 6-1, 6-2
2. Emma McDougall (SHSU) vs. Tara Shelander (LAMAR) unfinished
3. Mounia Hassib (SHSU) def. Hayley Bakker (LAMAR) 6-2, 6-7, 6-1
4. Cristina Flores (SHSU) def. Kendall Gibbs (LAMAR) 6-0, 6-1
5. Erika Rudich (SHSU) vs. Marion Brument (LAMAR) unfinished
6. Bethany Yurkiw (SHSU) def. Marine LeRoy (LAMAR) 6-2, 6-0
1. Assundani/Hassib (SHSU) vs. Martinez/Shelander (LAMAR) unfinished
2. Brument/Bakker (LAMAR) def. Flores/Rudich (SHSU) 8-4
3. Gibbs/LeRoy (LAMAR) def. McDougall/Yurkiw (SHSU) 8-4