Football Tailgating & Parking Policies
The following standards have been developed and adopted by Lamar University so that its students, faculty, staff, alumni, and guests may enjoy their game day experience to the fullest. Lamar University anticipates your full cooperation in observing each of these outlined points, which are provided in the best interest of health and safety. Thank you in advance for your cooperation.
"TAILGATING" in this policy is defined as parking and consuming food and beverages, including alcoholic beverages, outside of Provost Umphrey Stadium, on the campus of Lamar University. This policy refers specifically to tailgating at LU home football games.
- Tailgate parties are to be private parties only and must adhere to Health Department rules and regulations.
- Tailgating may begin no earlier than six hours before the start of the game and may not continue after kick-off of the football game. Tailgating may resume for no more than 90 minutes after the conclusion of the game.
- Texas Law pertaining to the possession, consumption and distribution of alcohol and controlled substances will be strictly enforced. The consumption of alcohol is allowed only in Red, Gold, Orange and Green lots.
- Parking/Tailgate permits may not be transferred or reassigned by permit holders. All permits must be obtained through the Athletic Ticket Office of Lamar Athletics, (409) 880-1715.
- Traffic flow prior to and following home games will be directed by University Police. Some roadways may be blocked and/or traffic may be diverted to ensure traffic moves as swiftly and safely as possible. MLK Access Road will be closed to RV traffic for one hour after the game.
- Parking/Tailgate permit holders must have a signed "Acknowledgement of Policy" on file with the Athletic Ticket Office. Permits are purchased on a per spot basis, and there is no distinction between parking and tailgating permits. One permit allows the purchaser to both park and tailgate in the designated lots.
- Tailgating is only allowed in lots Red (A2), Gold (A5), Green (C5, E2), Orange (E3, E5). For lot A2, permits are sold only in blocks of four (4) spaces. Lots A5, C5, E2, E3, and E5 are sold in one (1) space increments.
· Lamar University allows students, alumni, and friends of the University to hold private tailgate parties in the University's designated parking lots near Provost Umphrey Stadium in conjunction with Lamar University home football games, under the rules set forth in this policy.
· Alcohol possession and consumption is only allowed in the Red, Gold, Orange and Green lots, please refer to the Football Parking Map.
· Chapter VII, Section 4 of The Texas State University System Rules and Regulations authorizes the service and consumption of alcoholic beverages only in "special use" facilities on the Lamar University Campus designated by the President.
· Chapter VII, Section 1 of The Texas State University Systems Rules and Regulations prohibits commercial activity on campus property without permission granted in writing by the President or his designee.
VIOLATIONS OF POLICY
· Any violation of the tailgating policy may result in the immediate termination of tailgating and/or parking privileges, criminal prosecution (i.e. citation or arrest), and/or disciplinary action through the LU Student Affairs office if the violator is an LU student.
· Individuals participating in tailgating activities at Lamar University are expected to conduct themselves in a manner respectful of the nature and character of the University; including, following the directives of event management and public safety officials.
· Tailgating hosts may be held responsible for the behavior and actions of guests in the permit area.
· Persons acting in a disruptive, disrespectful or disorderly manner may be asked to leave the premises or be subject to citation or arrest.
· A Parking/Tailgating permit must be purchased and displayed in order to park and/or tailgate in Red, Gold, Orange or Green lots.
· Permits should be purchased for the number of spaces to be occupied by vehicles and tailgating activities. For example, a person who wishes to have one space for their vehicle and two spaces for tailgating activities must purchase a permit reflecting payment for three spaces.
· Roadways cannot be blocked by parked vehicles at any time. Permitted vehicles must fit within the confines of the permitted spaces purchased and may not extend into the driving lanes.
There are three categories of tailgating/parking lots available.
1. The Red lot (A-2) is the only lot where a specific tailgating location (spot) is reserved, and will remain the same for every game of the season. Permits in the Red lot are only sold in lots of 4. Refer to the pricing guide for pricing information.
2. Permits for the Gold (A-5), Orange (C-5 and E-5) and Green (E-2 and E-3) lots are sold individually on a per spot basis in the quantity requested by the purchaser. Individual spots are not reserved, but are assigned to a specific lot. No additional spaces may be blocked or saved by the permit holder. Fans with permits for the Gold, Orange and Green lots who wish to park and/or tailgate together should purchase their spots in the same lot and arrive together in sufficient time to secure their spaces.
3. There is no charge for parking in Blue lots. They are first come, first served on the day of the game. No tailgating is allowed in the Blue parking lots, including the serving of food, alcoholic or non-alcoholic beverages.
DISABLED PARKING PERMITS
· Parking in designated disabled/handicap spaces is free of charge in all lots and is available on a first come, first served basis.
· Proper disabled parking permits issued by the State of Texas should be displayed and available for inspection according to Lamar University Parking and Traffic Regulations.
FOOD AND BEVERAGES
· "TAILGATING" activities are considered private parties.
· Tailgaters may not offer food, non-alcoholic or alcoholic beverages for public consumption or sale to anyone other than those included in their tailgating party.
· Serving alcohol to or consumption of alcohol by minors (those under 21 years of age) is a violation of state and federal law.
· Glass containers are prohibited in all parking/tailgating areas and kegs or other common source containers are not allowed at any time.
· Tailgating games in which consuming alcohol is integral to the game, and the use of devices intended to accelerate the consumption of alcohol are expressly prohibited. Examples of prohibited games and devices are beer pong, funnels and beer bongs.
· All cooking devices, propane or otherwise, should be attended to at all times during cooking. Hot coals must be completely extinguished with water before leaving the tailgating site. Fires built on the ground and open fire pit devices are prohibited.
· Dispose of all trash in the appropriate receptacles located in tailgating areas or pack it out.
· Anyone found to be in violation of these rules will have their tailgate permit revoked and will receive no refund for future games.
· Signs are allowed for tailgating identification purposes; however, signs higher than 10 feet above the ground and larger than 5' X 5' in size are not allowed (except by registered Lamar University Organizations and Lamar Athletic Corporate Sponsors).
· All tents and signage must be adequately weighted or otherwise secured for safety purposes.
· No posts or stakes may be driven into the pavement or concrete.
· No promotional materials or goods of any kind may be distributed or sold on campus in conjunction with Lamar University athletic events without prior written consent from the Athletic Department.
· Any group found to be in violation of this rule will have their tailgate permit revoked and will receive no refund for future games.
· Parking opens six hours before game time for all home games.
· Early parking is prohibited in the Red, Gold, Orange and Green lots.
· Tailgate areas must be dismantled no later than 90 minutes following the end of the game.
· Overnight camping is prohibited on the entire LU Campus.
· Buy Tickets Online
· Contact Us
· Main Page